Use the appropriate ONLINE FORM to quickly email us your question. Click Here
When obtaining a license or the best knowledge and insurance cover are important to you.

Home | Courses + Compliance | Owner Builder Courses | WA - Owner Builder Course

Owner Builder Courses

wa ob map

Anyone in Western Australia who carries out 'building' work valued over $20,000 must be a registered builder or an approved owner builder before applying for a building permit from the local government. In successfully completing the WAOB01 course you will gain the valuable knowledge of learning and understanding how to owner build and project manage.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Before commencing the general construction induction training, you will need to already possess an OH&S White Card, or to undertake and successfully complete the Work Safely in the Construction Industry CPCCOHS1001A course, sometimes also known as the 'White Card'. This training provides an awareness and understanding of rights and responsibilities under work health and safety legislation.

We offer this course for Western Australian compliance - Work Safely in the Construction Industry CPCCOHS1001A, Purchase Online

Select below to complete the course :

ONLINE VERSION - only $185 : Course WAOB01 - study on your computer, LOGIN and you can complete the 'Assessment Questions' online. Study when it suits you and complete the course at your own pace. This online version will soon be available in 15 different languages.
>> BOOK NOW. If you are having trouble booking online, please call 0403 066 603. Please leave your name and number for us to return your call.


What Is Owner Building in Western Australia.

  • A single dwelling being a detatched house. This includes an extension to a house or a habitable dwelling on the same property but separate to the main house such as a granny flat
  • Being a non-habitable building such as a private garage, carport or shed
  • Being a one or two storey building with a floor space of less than 500m2 that is not a detatched house, Class 10 building or farm building

About Owner Building

Under the Building Services Act 2011, owner builders will be required to obtain approval from the Building Services Board, administered by the Building Commission, before obtaining a building permit to carry out owner builder work on their land.

As an owner-builder you have total control over the building project and are legally responsible for the entire project from start to finish, and for at least six years after completion. Further, you will be liable if the building work does not comply with all building standards and safety regulations.

An owner builder approval is not a building licence or permit. It is approval to be named as a builder on a building permit. You must make a separate application for a building permit to the relevant local government permit authority.

To construct a residential house, build or renovate your home within the Boards area of jurisdiction, you are required to:

  • Complete a Residential Owner-Builder Statutory Declaration
  • Submit proof of identification (certified copy of Driver's licence/Passport)
  • Pay a fee of $126 (non-refundable) to the Board

The Board will issue you with a certificate and send a copy to the local government authority, who will then, subject to criteria, issue a building licence, which is the approval to commence building work. For more infomration please click at the following link - Builders Registration Board of WA.


Requirements to Owner Build:

  • Obtain a Development Approval
  • Lodge all copies of certificates of indemnity insurance for building work to be undertaken by a licensed building work contractor with the council before commencing that stage of building work
  • Notify adjoining owner/s of an intention to perform building work that may affect adjoining property
  • Notify the council at prescribed stages of the building work
  • Advise the council of the name and contact details of the person who will be supervising the building work
  • Undertake the building work in accordance with the approved documents
  • Submit a signed Statement of Compliance (Schedule 19A) to the relevant authority on completion of the building work


The Owner Builder Statement of Attainment certificate is valid for up to five (5) years from the date of issue on successfully completing the course.

  • footer red bcn logo Width = 208px Height = 94px
  • bcn years logo-2015
Copyright © 2020 Building Centre Network. All Rights Reserved.